I am currently working as a project coordinator at the Centre for Numerical Methods in Engineering and as a researcher with IAFI, a small research unit at the University of Barcelona that focuses on the broad philosophical and methodological foundations of finance.
I studied aeronautical and aerospace engineering at the University of Stuttgart where I also worked as a research assistant on aerodynamic simulation models. In 1992 I joined the Oxford University Computing Lab to continue in this line of research, but with a more theoretical emphasis on the numerical mathematics of partial differential equations. In 1995, I was hired by Salomon Brothers, a U.S. investment bank, into their fixed income research division where I worked for a number of years, first as a generalist, then as a vice-president. In the year 2000, I took up a position at CIMNE to promote research activities in the field of numerical methods in finance. I have coordinated a number of research projects in the area of learning technologies, decision support, and business simulation.Currently I am coordinating a EU research project, x Delia, that investigates the role of behavioural biases and emotions in building financial competence and expertise, and that develops sensor and game technologies to support non-formal and informal learning in professional trading, private investment, and personal finance.
My current research interests centre on investigating systemic financial risk as a social, governmental, and immanently reflexive phenomenon, on developing a methodological basis for multiagent modelling of financial markets, and on conceptualising serious games for immersive learning in business and finance.
For an up-to-date list of my talks and publications, please follow this link.
- Business Administration, Universidad de Barcelona, 2002-today
- Philosophy, Fern-Universität Hagen, 2004-05
- Mathematics and Computing, Merton College, Oxford University, 1992-95
- Aeronautical and Aerospace Engineering, Universität Stuttgart, 1987-92
- R&D Project Coordinator, CIMNE, 2000-today
- External consultant, Universidad de Barcelona, 2006-2008
- Visiting Professor (MIS), Universidad Internacional de Cataluña, 2004
- Vice-President, Salomon Brothers Int’l, 1997-99
- Generalist (Bond Portfolio Analysis), Salomon Brothers Int’l, 1995-96